Ok, it’s 10/06/09 and I just tried the New Bejeweled Blitz game on Facebook. Um… wow!
It’s a lot more fun and there’s a lot more going on. That’s for sure. All the rules from the old Bejeweled Blitz still apply but one thing I learned quickly was, if you’re only doing one gem swap at a time, you’re going way too slow! You can get multiple swaps going on at once now and you want to take advantage of it so that you get to “crazy speed” mode, where it seems that every move you make has a huge explosion. You can hear the fire building up as you get closer and closer to crazy speed mode.
The look reminds me of the Bejeweled Twist game that they have out now – which is completely different, if you ask me. I have to get my brain to think in a whole new way when I play that one, so I don’t play it that often. The announcer sounds like Megatron.
There are some new features in addition to being able to make more than one gem swap at once. I’ll add them here soon. One is this ice gem which, when exploded, knocks out all gems in the horizontal and vertical rows. Pretty cool.
There’s no going slow with the new Bejeweled Blitz. You need to move and move fast. Once you make one move, check out another part of the board where you can make another. It seems that if the swap is available when you see it, you can make it and it doesn’t matter what else is going on at the time. I have to give it up for the programmers for making that possible, nice.
If you save power gems to the end of the game, it’s now nice enough to blow them up for you at the end, where you can really earn extra points beyond the 1 minute game if things keep cascading. That’s even more incentive to get that multiplier up there. I had it up to 6x or 7x times already. I also just scored 324,650 no problem!
Check back here for more New Bejeweled Blitz tips, tricks and strategy!
10/08/09: Here is a review of gems, which includes the new gems (from the Bejeweled Blitz Tips and Tricks page on Facebook:
- Flame Gem – Match 4 gems to create a Flame Gem. Match that Flame Gem to ignite an explosion that will take out all neighboring gems and trigger other Flame Gems within its radius.
- Star Gem - Match 5 gems in a “L” or “T” shape to create a Star Gem. Match the Star Gem to unleash its power, removing one column and one row of gems from the board.
- Hypercube – Match 5 gems horizontally or vertically to create a Hypercube. Use the Hypercube by swapping it with an adjacent gem to turn all gems of that color on the board into a shower of points. Something awesome will now happen if you match two Hypercubes. Are you able to make it happen?
- Multiplier Gem – These gems are created by creating large cascades or using power gems to destroy a lot of gems at one time. Matching the Multiplier Gem will multiply all points you get from then until the end of the game.
- Speed Bonus – Build up a speed bonus by continually making matches. You need to make 3 matches in about 2 seconds to start your speed bonus. The higher your Speed Bonus, the more time you have in between matches before it goes away. The Speed Bonus starts at +200 and caps out at +1000. This amount is added to every match you make.
- Blazing Speed – Keep your speed bonus up for an extended amount of time and you will start to fill your speed bonus meter, the text displayed for your speed bonus will change color from white to orange. Once your meter is full you will be in Blazing Speed! Each match will grant you the same effect as detonating a Flame Gem until Blazing Speed subsides.
Strategies for Getting High Scores!
Many players have asked us what strategies they should try in order to get a high Blitz score. Here are some of the strategies that members of the Blitz team use when going for a top score.
- Try to keep your speed bonus up at all times. With a maxed-out speed bonus every move is worth 1250 points!
- Multiplier gems apply not only to matches, but also to your current speed bonus. For example, with a x3 multiplier, each match made with a full speed bonus would be worth 3750 points. So once you’ve established a respectable multiplier, maintaining your speed bonus is extremely valuable.
- Keep an eye out for bigger matches. Look for the opportunity to match 4 or 5 gems. This will create Hypercubes, Flame and Star Gems. These special pieces are instrumental in creating large explosions, which will earn you lots of points, more chances at extra Multiplier Gems and will help mix up the board, potentially making it easier to find new matches. Lost opportunities mean lost points.
- Matches made lower on the board are more likely to generate cascades. If you’re finding it hard to make matches lower on the board, try creating and using a Hypercube or Star Gem.
- When you earn a Hypercube, don’t waste it on the first color you see. Try to use it to on the color with the most gems on the screen. Or if you have any multiplier gems on the screen, consider matching it to the color of that gem.
- The score chart provided on the Game Over screen is a great place to discover strategies of your own. Make sure you take the time to review this chart for your highest scoring games to learn the secrets of your own success.
So like I said, keeping the multiplier up is important. It’s more important than going fast, I think. So make good more rather than more moves. Making 10 moves at 1x is not as good as making 5 moves at 3x. The speed bonus is good but you should really go for that once you get the multiplier up. Get it up to at least 2x or 3x times before you start really thinking about speed – and then you’ll have a high score.
This game is so fun. There’s so much happening and you can get higher scores than the old game. The graphics and sound is really good – top quality. You almost can’t believe that let you play this for free. So go have fun!
Check out BlitzTips if you really want to learn to get top scores and learn some excellent tips and tricks.
10/16/09 – I think I’m convinced that having a faster computer will help you get higher scores. I just got a new, screaming computer at home and I’m getting much higher scores on that one than on my laptop. It’s like a quad core with 6 GB of RAM, so it’s pretty loaded. I usually just have FireFox open with Bejeweled Blitz running since I’m trying to get things moved over from the old PC still.
If anyone else has noticed this, please leave a note in the comments.
My high score to date is 380,850 which I got last week and this week I’m up to 366,900 and both of those were done on the new PC.
10/16/09 – Regina posted a good tip on the other Bejeweled Blitz Strategy page. If you mouse over each of the levels now, it show you how far you are and what you need to get to the gold level or reach the next level. With each level, it increases. I’m gold all the way up through 100k right now. So for 125k, you need 250 games from level 5 to gold. So it’s like this:
- Level 2 to level 3: 25 games
- Level 3 to level 4: 50 games
- Level 4 to level 5: 100 games
- Level 5 to gold: 250 games
So to get from level 2 to gold, you need to have 425 games with a points total in that range. That’s a lot of games! Keep playing!
08/15/2010 – Regarding the Bejeweled Blitz Moonstone, I think it’s not worth what they’re charging for it. It’s just not worth 25,000 coins, so I’d say skip it. Try it once if you want and see what it’s like but you will probably agree with me on this one.
08/16/2010 – Here’s a video series on some good Bejeweled Blitz tips and strategy (cough… ripoff!). The guy seems to say that 7x is the highest multiplier you can get but that’s wrong. If you buy the multiplier boost, you can get up to 8x. Below is a screenshot.
The 8x multiplier:
Blazing Steed and Phoenix Prism
I really like the Phoenix Prism boost. If you want to soar ahead of your friends’ scores, then use the Phoenix Prism. It’s like a wild card gem. You can use it to match any color and then the pattern that it uses to blast away other gems is sort of like a star or prism effect, you could say. I always use this one when I can. It’s not cheap but definitely worth it. Actually, I might pass on it if I get it right away and am not warmed up.
Blazing Steed is kind of new. I thought the voice said “blazing speed” for the longest time… oh well. It kind of amps up the explosive powers you normally get when you work really fast at clearing out gems. I don’t think it’s the greatest power up but it’s fun for sure. There’s even a bonus at the end where it clear out part of the bottom of the board. The power gems that give bonus points at the end are a nice plus.Related Search Terms:
- what is blazing speed in bejeweled blitz
- at what level in bejeweled blitz does special happen
- bejeweled blitz blazing steed what does it do
- blazing speed bejeweled blitz
- how to get a blazing speed in bejeweled blitz
- I am stuck at 181 in begeweled blitz what to do
- is the gold stars stas on bejewled blitz on facebook useful for me?