How to Get Better at Bejeweled Blitz / Bejeweled Blitz Tips
Bejeweled Blitz is a fun game. Here’s what I’ve learned and how to get better at it. I include some tips and hints that will help you get better at playing it and get higher scores so that you can beat your friends.
Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook
I just found yesterday that Facebook and PopCap Games have their own version of Bejeweled out called Bejeweled Blitz. I’ve been playing Bejeweled for maybe 4 years now. I was pretty addicted at one point and now play it once in a while on WorldWinner. I guess I’m alright at it but there are some people who just are awesome at it but maybe they have no lives.
So my high score on Bejeweled Blitz right now is 125,500. I played it maybe 35 times yesterday and then another 15 or so this morning. With the short play of just 1 minute, it’s easy to crank through games. I like the game. It’s a nice variation. The multipliers are cool. So far, I haven’t come across a situation where there are no moves, so they must have it programmed so that doesn’t happen, which can really work to your advantage – I’ll explain.
Here are some Bejeweled Blitz tips and hints for you:
- Multiplier – The multiplier is key in Bejeweled Blitz. Multipliers are made when you get rid of 12 or more gems with 1 gem swap. You’ll want to explode a power gem with another near by power gem or make sure that a cascade happens at the same time.
- Multiplier – When you get a multiplier on the screen (first make as many as you can), your next goal is to get it to explode. You don’t necessarily need to get that multiplier’s color combination to do this. If you have a power gem next to it, then get that power gem to explode and you still get the multiplier because the near by explosion caused it also to explode.
- Strategy – Your first move of the game should be to look to make a power gem. Take a second and look for one. Many times, the game starts you off where you can easily make one. Get the 2x multiplier within the first 5-10 seconds of the game to score high.
- Strategy – One of the best ways to get cascades to happen is play at the bottom of the screen. When you do that, you’re a lot more likely to get things above to just sort of randomly happen.
- Strategy – Always be looking to create power gems. Always. That’s basically your goal. The more you have on the screen, the more likely you are to find combinations that will make them explode. Avoid having them blow up on the side of the screen since the blast radius will be less in that case. Move it in if you have that option so that you explode more gems.
- Strategy – Once you make a combination on one side of the screen, immediately look to the other side of the screen where blocks being removed won’t affect anything and set up your next move there instead of waiting to see what happens where you just made your move. This saves a ton of time and you don’t get “lost” when things didn’t work out like you wanted. This is an important Bejeweled Blitz tip for sure.
- Strategy – Once nice thing about this version (Bejeweled Blitz) is that you can move gems before the game lets you. Once the game is ready, it performs that move. If things are happening, you can go to another sector of the board that isn’t going to be affected by what’s going on and make a move in advance and sort of get ahead of the game. Not all versions of Bejeweled let you do this, so take advantage. You can also get in an extra move at the end of the game even when time has run out if you’ve done moves in advance while time was still on the clock – usually just one move though.
- Strategy – One strategy I use on the longer game is to look for combinations based on color/gem. Like like over the whole board and do all the blue ones, then maybe the red ones, etc. If you deplete a certain color, then the game is usually more likely to give you more of that color when it gives you more gems, thus putting those gems near each other. It sort of creates nice groups for you. This might not be the best strategy for such a short game, but try it if you want.
- Tip – If you can be patient and try to group like colors/gem together instead of just making single, 3-gem combinations then you’re more likely to be able to create a power gem. There isn’t much time though, so don’t waste it.
- Tip – You can get down to the point where there are not a lot of combinations. When that happens, look at the top of the screen where new gems have come in. You’re more likely to find a combination there since the game seems to be set up with its own rule so that you never get stuck. This can actually play to your advantage since it’ll keep having to make combinations to obey its rule and you can all of sudden get multiple cascading combinations going almost automatically.
- Tip – Play quickly. There are bonus points for playing fast. When you make a connection and you hear the higher pitched noise, that means you’re making those bonus points.
- Tip – And don’t look at your score until the end of the game. You might lose focus if you do. You should look at what level your multiplier is though.
- Tip – You can start moving your gems before you’re told to “Go” but there are some words in the middle of the screen, blocking your view of some gems, so it’s best to just move something at the top of the screen that won’t affect other good, potential moves below.
- Tip – Some people do better with the sound off. I actually like to hear when the game is ending and when multipliers become available. Try it both ways and see which works better for you.
- Tip – Don’t over think every move. Just keep playing. One caution about this… I’ve tried playing the game really fast and my scores drop when I do that. I miss great moves. So don’t go too fast. Keep it moving and watch the whole board for what’s happening.
- Tip – Whenever you get a power gem, blow it up. Don’t save it unless you know you can use it really soon – meaning have it blow up in a cascade (which is how you get the multipliers). There’s not enough time in this gave to save them up. Often when you blow them up, you get some better gems generated.
- Hypercubes – Hypercubes (zaps all of the color you choose). They’re great to get. What really matters in Bejeweled Blitz is if you use the hypercubes when your multiplier is high. So you can save it if you want. Just don’t explode it or you lose it.
- Hypercubes – Should you save a set up gems where you’re waiting for the middle one to fall into place and create a hypercube? If it’s not in the way, then try it if you want. You might just be best off creating a series of 4 gems for a power gem instead. You don’t have much time in this game.
- Too Slow? – Play on a computer that’s fast enough, has enough memory and a good Internet connection. Close down other programs if you have to.
- Too Slow? – Right click on the play area and change your Flash quality to low.
- Bad Game? – If you have a bad game, don’t get down. Just play another one. Since the background color of the game seems to change, sometimes it’s harder to see gem combinations with certain background colors – so it’s not you!
- Bad Game? – If you have a bad game going, keep playing. You’ll get practice and you never know what might happen at the end of the game. The next game is less than a minute away and you can try again.
- Bad Game? – If you’re stuck, use the Hint button. It’s better to take a small hit on points than waste time.The game usually gives you excellent hints.
I think the best Bejeweled Blitz tips are to work the multipliers and look to another part of the screen immediately after swapping gems to find your next move. Look to an area that won’t be affected by your last swap.
Have fun. It’s a fun game. I hope these Bejeweled Blitz tips and hints helped. If you’re having trouble finding it, here’s a link (which will work if you have a Facebook account): Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook
What are some other high scores people are getting? Post them in the comments.
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I’m glad these Bejeweled tips help.
If you are looking for more gaming ideas, check out online strategy and casino games.
Here are some more Bejeweled Blitz tips from PopCap Games (on Facebook). Some I’ve rewritten and summarized:
- Concentrate on your speed bonus. When that’s at the maximum, each move is worth 1200 points.
- The multiplier also helps with your speed bonus. So when the multiplier is at 2x, each move is worth 2400 points – and so on.
- Keep an eye out for bigger matches. Look for the opportunity to match 4 or 5 gems. This will create Power Gems and Hypercubes. These special pieces are instrumental in creating large explosions, which will earn you lots of points and will help mix up the board, potentially making it easier to find new matches. Lost opportunities mean lost points.
- You can only earn a multiplier gem every 10 seconds, so don’t get too eager.
- Making matches on the lower part of the board makes it more likely to generate cascades.
- Use a hypercube on the color that has the most gems on the board.
- Power Gem – Match 4 gems to create a Power Gem. Match that Power Gem for an explosive surprise that will take out all neighboring gems and ignite other Power Gems within its radius.
- Hypercube – Match 5 gems to create a Hypercube. Use the Hypercube by swapping it with an adjacent gem to turn all gems of that color on the board into a shower of points.
- Multiplier Gem – These gems are created when one swap results in 12 or more gems disappearing from the board. This can occur in a cascade or by using a Power Gem to detonate a neighboring Power Gem. A Multiplier Gem can only be created about every 10 seconds. Matching the Multiplier Gem will multiply the points you get from then until the end of the game.
- Speed Bonus – Build up a speed bonus by continually making matches. You need to make 3 matches in about 2 seconds to start your speed bonus. The higher your Speed Bonus, the more time you have in between matches before it goes away. The Speed Bonus starts at +200 and caps out at +1000. This amount is added to every match you make.
I like the new stats that are on Bejeweled Blitz now. They keep track of your previous games and how many points awards you’ve received. They’ve got my stats from the last 5 weeks, so they’ve apparently been keeping these stats a little while. Kinda cool. Your friends can now see how much time you waste playing these 1 minute games!
The game is also faster. It sounded like they had to beef up their servers because the game is so popular. Good job, PopCap!
I wonder if they’re going to come up with higher point levels in their drawings. The first 2 weeks I played, I don’t think my group hit 1 million points but now we top that in just a day or two. I’ve got 24 friends playing it on Facebook now.
I’ve past level 5 for 25k games on the Bejeweled Blitz stats and it turned to “Gold” now instead of going to level 6. That’s kind of interesting. I wonder if they just wanted to cap off the stats or if there’s something else you can unlock when you get all your point levels to gold. Doing that would take quite a while. There’s no bronze or silver either, it went from level 5 straight to gold.
I couldn’t find any info on this in the Tips and Tricks section that PopCap has on Facebook (it looks like it needs to be updated, actually). We’ll see what happens. Maybe this is some sort of feature they’re rolling out in the future. If anybody knows anything, let us know.
Tonight (07-14-2009) I was playing and just doing terrible. I mean, I was getting scores like 11,000 and 9,000. I almost gave up but I don’t like to end on a bad note, so I played a bit more. I think it was about 2 games after my low, low score of 9,100 I started another game and broke my high score by getting 201,200! It was just like any normal game. It started out good but then with about 10 seconds left, wow did the points pile on. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a new metal show up and then the game ended. I looked at the score and wow – almost fell over!
So don’t give up. It’s sometimes pretty random how you get the best jewels at the right time in some games and when that happens, you want to be ready. It might just turn into your best game. And remember, don’t look at the score until the end!
Here’s a screen shot of that 201,200 game of Bejeweled of mine. I know others are better but I’m digging it.
And here’s how my 225,300 game of Bejeweled Blitz looks like. That was a fun game (08/26/2009).
I have a new page about what I’m calling the New Bejeweled Blitz because PopCap really changed the game a lot. The strategies here still apply but the new version of the game has a lot of changes – and it a lot more fun!Related Search Terms:
- amazing speed bejeweled blitz
- Bejeweled Blitz 1 22 28-20150427 12:44-L27
- bejeweled blitz dream catcher hint
- hints on bejeweled blitz
- how to make alot of points in bejewled blitz
- these hints and tips will help you 1)add do not where necessary
- what is the max reward on bejeweled blitz